Kabasura and Covid
Was pleasantly surprised when my highschool classmate,
Maruti, called to wish me last month! It was such a delight to hear him
dispensing health tips like a caring elder would. He wanted, almost commanded,
me to buy a Siddha medicine to build immunity and keep covid at bay.
"You buy it otherwise I will send it from here. It is easily available in Tamil Nadu. Ok?" Just as the call ended, whatsapp promptly beeped with the name, method of preparation and the recommended dosage.
The spouse had his task cut out for the day: Buy Kabasura Kudineer. A mixture of dry leaves and twigs roughly powdered was soon home.
Twenty grams of it in 960 ml of water, reduced to one-fourth just as he had ordered. 20 minutes of delightful aroma of ginger, pepper, pippali, clove and a dozen other unpronouncible herbs, the kudineer was ready to be served in 4 tiny steel glasses.
One dainty sip and my tongue curled into my throat, eyeballs shot into my skull and all of my enormous self shivered like a leaf. It was more acrid than anything I had ever tasted! Hadn't the heart to defy Maruti. I gulped it down and slumped on the couch.
My children threw up and refused to drink it. Covid. Not this! They hadn't heard Maruti extolling the kudineer in the tone he did! The man of the house had to gulp it down... you know. I don't like to boast and all but I am an awful good wife!
My children are now convinced I was a bitter bully back in school (also) and this is Maruti's revenge, neatly packed in a brown paper cover with a little window.
As it happens with life, I quietly gulp the bitterness once every two days. Thank you Maruti. I am not, and never was, a bully you see. But sorry just in case...
-Shashi
3-07-2020
(PS: Written before my experience with Covid 19. I was positive, home-quarantined, lived without smell and taste for months. I still believe my fling with Corona ended quick and easy, thanks to my new-found love for fitness, and Kabasura.)
No comments:
Post a Comment