Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reading, it is hard.

Not bad. I am back in two days. Have to practice.

Actually reading and writing are complex tasks. Realized it now when my 5-1/2 year old son is struggling to get on with reading. I have really forgotten how I mastered them. I remember the trauma when I failed my first English test in 5th standard. I studied in Kannada medium till 7th. In Dharwad where I studied till 4th, we were not taught English till 5th. But in the cosmopolitan Bangalore, English started in 1st standard even in Kannada medium schools, against the government rules! Of course, my parents were extra understanding and my kid brother and big sister helped me to tide over the crisis. That's how I came about to being a journalist and now a writer...and an english one at that. I bet my kannada skills are better. Should try my hand at that.

And now, my son literally panicked the other day when I tried to make him a read a sentence. Couldn't bear to see his tearful eyes pleading me not to make him read. Got me thinking if I were being too harsh on me li'l boy. He is otherwise a confident, calm and composed child. Wonder why a simple sentence I wrote in his book had him in tears. He reads words perfectly well though. It is a game we have been playing for over six months. I write a word and he reads it. Thought he would be ready to read sentences. Apparently not.

I wondered how I can make it easier and interesting for Kabir, my son in case you are wondering. We have started a blog, on our wall, actually. That reminds me, I have to buy him a white board. So he writes weather report in the morning. Writes the day, date and month and whatever else he wants to. Writing seems easier to him. I am hoping the exercise will help him start reading.

He has started reading Browny Bear series and Usborne Farmyard Tales. Slow and unsteady but reads nevertheless. At least he doesn't cry and panic at the sight of a bunch of words hanging together in liniarity. He is still wary of words that are long and refuses to read but keeps trying to guess the word. I am now trying to convince him that reading the word in front of him is easier than guessing it!

Will have to come back later...

No comments:

Post a Comment